Young Adults and Naturism
Many people who investigate naturism and/or social nudity
a little are surprised to find that (in North America, at least) it seems
to be something that appeals mostly to people over 30.
This was not always so, it does not have to be so, and it is something
that needs to change in order for the pleasures of clothes-freedom to be
available to as many people as possible.
Young people who have looked into nudism and naturism or visited nude
beaches are often dismayed to find relatively few in their own
age group. Many (most?) others never even give the possiblity of social
nudity a thought since it seems to be so far outside the norms of society
as they have experienced it.
Yet there are reasons why one might expect young people to be more
inclined to tolerate and have an interest in nakedness than older folks:
- Being naked is pleasurable and fun - and young people especially
like what's fun.
- Young people have the time and inclination to enjoy life and have fun.
(They may feel that they have little free time - but they will have even
less time when they are deeply involved with a career and have a familiy
- Young people have had less time to become entangled in social structures
that might discourage an interest in nudity (e. g. a career, the rat race,
kids of their own, etc.)
- Having had less time to internalize social taboos, young people
ought to be more daring
and more inclined to try new and unusual things.
- Young people should be less worried about
how their bodies look since they haven't suffered the bulges, sags, and
scars of advancing age.
- Young people are less likely to be in a committed relationship where
the other person is strongly opposed to nudity.
Unfortunately for all concerned - both the younger and the older
generation - there is an unequal representation of age groups among
people who like to be naked, especially in social situations. And this
under-representation itself becomes a deterrent for young people to
become involved with social nudity, just as it does with other demographic
categories, such as women.
It hasn't always been this way. The generation of people who came of age
in the 60s and 70s were more at ease with nudity (even though, statistically,
interest in nudity was still rather outside of the mainstream). Perhaps
this has more than a little to do with why this generation, now middle-aged,
is more strongly represented in social nudity than younger people. People
in this age range can recall (if they happen to be male) when it was normal
to swim naked at the Y. They remember, fondly, the clothing optional parties
and skinny dipping that weren't uncommon on campuses in the late 60s and
70s. They flocked in large numbers to the "free" beaches - many of which
still are "clothing optional", but rather less heavily used.
How can young people become more involved in clothes-freedom and
Here are some general suggestions, both for young people themselves,
and for anyone who wants to see clothes-freedom available to people
of all ages. It shouldn't be a secret that only certain older folks know
- No one's arm needs to be twisted to discover the enjoyment of nakedness.
Just trying it once in a pleasant, supportive environment is usually
enough to convince someone who has no entrenched hang-ups about nudity.
The environment can be in the privacy of one's own home. "Just do it."
- Keep in mind that the world of clothes-freedom, social nudity,
naturism, or whatever it's called is very diverse. It isn't just one
thing. It isn't (necessarily) a lifestyle you need to follow at all
times. There are many different ways to enjoy it.
There will be aspects of this world that are more to your
own personal liking than others. Try to find what is right for you.
- There are a number of specific, easy
steps anyone can take to begin experiencing and enjoying the
pleasures of clothes-freedom and social nudity. Here is an organized
list of suggestions for how to get
started that should be useful to people of any age.
- Read and think about some of the
reasons why young people are
most often discouraged from trying social nudity. There are specific
suggestions for overcoming each of the obstacles and deterrents.
- Look for online places where you can discuss clothes-freedom,
social nudity, and naturism with others, many of whom have useful
experience. There are many alternatives, such as
discussion forums, chat rooms,
mailing lists, and individual Web site guest books.
There are lists of such sites here.
- Get involved with various online groups which are specifically
trying to help young people learn about and experience clothes-freedom.
Some of these are places with the specific
purpose of helping young people with a common interest in social nudity
make contact with each other.
You'll find several such groups in the following list of external links.
(And getting involved means actively taking part, not just talking
about doing something.)
- Consult my list of sites belonging to or describing places to
enjoy clothes-freedom in the United States,
Canada, and the
rest of the world. Chances are good you'll find places close to
where you live, but finding one that is "right" for you may take
a little research.
- I also have many
lists of links to pages and sites that give more
information on the relation of nudity to specific interests, such as
art, religion, and sports. The information on various sports, in
particular, may be of special interest to young people.
Take a look to see whether one or more of your personal
interests are listed.
Related Resources on this Site
15 Top Reasons to Be Naked!
- A list created by a young member of the Federation of
Canadian Naturists, especially from a young person's point of view.
The emphasis is on traditional naturist parks and clubs.
How to Get Started Being Naked
- A general set of suggestions and resources to help anyone get
into social nudity or just a more clothes-free way of being.
Why Don't More Young Adults Try Social Nudity?
- A closer look at a number of answers to this question, with
suggestions for overcoming the obstacles and deterrents.
Clothes-Freedom at the Burning Man Festival
- The Burning Man Festival is a celebration of art and imagination
in which everyone who attends is part of the entertainment.
Attendance is heavily weighted to people under 30. And it's a unique
experiment with a society in which clothing really is optional.
The Nude Generation: A Modest (?) Proposal
- A Weekly Nudesletter article by Mark Cornick on how people in
the 18-30 age range might become more interested in naturism.
Young Naturist Association International
- A site intended to encourage worldwide youth naturism. Features
FAQ, external links,
stories of personal experiences with naturism, and a nice
The Nude World of Cat
- Very nice site created by young UK naturist Catherine Lewis.
Contains stories about personal experiences with naturism and an
The Home Page of SunnyDay
- Good home page of a 20-something naturist. Contains personal
experience stories of SunnyDay and her friends and a good
Young Naturists Web Ring
- Take a look at this Web ring to meet many young folks who
are into nudity. If you have a Web site and the qualifications,
add your site to the ring.
The World of Jess: Some advice for young nudists
- A page with answers to a few common questions, from a young
The World of Jess.
Promoting Younger Naturism
- A brief essay, posted at
- Information on the FANR
(Florida Association for Nude Recreation)
Youth Academy, a summer camp for naturist teens.
AANR-East Youth Camps and Programs
- Information about camps for teens operated by
Tallahassee Naturally Greek Athletics
- Information about a Greek (nude) athletic competition held in
the spring for college-age people, hosted by
- Information on the nudist lifestyle for teens. Under construction.
Online forums, discussion groups, and communities for young naturists
- This is a mailing list specifically intended for the purpose of
communication among students
who are interested in naturism,
at high schools, colleges, universities,
and similar educational institutions
Young Adult Nudists
- Yahoo group. All ages welcome.
College and university naturist organizations
Longhorn Nudists - University of Texas at Austin
- This is one of the most active campus nudist groups in the U. S.
Other organizations for young naturists: North America
Young Canadian Naturists
- "We are a group of young women and men, our ages spanning from
early twenties to early thirties, who enjoy the naturist lifestyle.
During the winter months, we participate in monthly swim nights at
pools in the Greater Toronto Area."
Desert Sun Naturists
- Non-landed Arizona club oriented towards young adults. Has a
Fresno Area Young Adult Nudists
- Yahoo group for young adult nudists in the Fresno, CA area.
Sacramento Young Adult Naturists
- MSN group for young adult naturists in the Sacramento, CA area.
Young Adult Naturists
- Yahoo group for young adult nudists in the San Francisco Bay and
central California areas.
Young Adult Naturists of North America
- Yahoo group for people in the 18-35 age range in the U. S.
Northeast and Mid-Atlantic area.
American Naturist Youth
- A contact group for
naturists/nudists or those interested in social nudity.
Other organizations for young naturists: Outside North America
Young British Naturists
- For members of
British Naturism in
the 18-30 age range.
- A French club for naturists in the 15-25 age range. (Site is in
The Young Ones
- A Dutch organization for naturists age 23 to 40. The pages are
- Youth group (ages 15-25) of the
Naturisten Federatie Nederland.
The site is very nicely done. (Language is Dutch only.)
Danske Unge Naturister
- Danish young naturist group for people in the 15-25 age range.
(Language is Danish only.)
- Listing of activities of various European naturist groups for
kids, teens, and young adults. (Available in French, German, Dutch, and
Italian, as well as English.)
Young Aussie Nudists
- Yahoo group for Australians in the 16 to 35 age range who are
interested in naked recreation and body acceptance.
Natural Friends Network
- A general naturist group for New Zealand. Working on a
kids' initiative and has information on the
effects of naturism on pre-adult development.
Secció de Joves del CCN
- The youth organization of
Club Català de Naturisme.
Nu Joves Naturistes de las Islas Baleares
- A site for young naturists of the Balearic Islands. (Languages:
The Israeli Young Nudist's Society
- Information about nudism, naturism, and the nude lifestyle -
pictures, contacts, polls, stories.
Israeli Nudist Youth Club
- In process of formation.
Copyright © 1997-2005, All Rights Reserved
Last updated: November 19, 2005